Easter is almost upon us and like many house holds in the UK our house will be fill of chocolate in almost every cupboard, every space and packed full in the fridge.
So is chocolate safe for are dog and if so how much?
That is a simple answer. Chocolate can easily kill your dog and it's one of the commonest causes of canine poisoning. No chocolate is safe for your Dog. The worst offenders are dark chocolate and baking chocolate, the safest is white chocolate but all chocolate should be avoided. Keep all chocoate away from Dogs.
Why is Chocolate bad for my dog?
Chocolate is bad for your dog because of what the chocolate is made from. Chocolate is made from cocoa beans, coco beans are not good for dogs. In essence cocoa beans have caffeine in and losts of other chemical stuff and dogs find that very hard to process. Their metobolics rate is very different to us humans and is a lot slower to process chemicals.
What will happen to my dog if they eat chocolate?
The reaction will generally depend on the amount of chocolate your dog has consumed. However, in generall you dog may throw up, have runs, be hyperactive, have high blood pressure, high heart rate and possible respiratory failure.
What do I do if I find my dog has eaten chocolate?
In general we would also recommend take professional advice from your Vet, the sooner the better.
If you have a list of other foods that are poisionious to dogs we would love to hear from you.